The University of Texas Medical Branch Associate Vice President, Clinical Analytics in Galveston, Texas
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree in Informatics, Health Information, Business or Health Administration and six (6) years of related experience.
Provides strategic direction for the development and implementation of a distributed health analytic ecosystem and for the adoption of clinical decision support analytics that promote timely and effective decision-making by clinicians and administrators alike. Oversees clinical documentation improvement systems and additionally enhances EMR and other clinical source data utility and integrity. Directs the relationship with external clinical data partners, including UHC, Total Benchmark Solutions, etc.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP23.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists executive leaders in the development of health system strategic and operations planning and implementation by mining opportunities and advancing information that drives strategic investments, performance improvement, at-risk contract compliance and population health improvements.
- Assures excellence in customer service regarding business intelligence to UTMB clinical leaders, administrators, researchers, and varied communities.
Anticipates, designs, and, leverages enterprise informatics assets, to build the next generation analytical ecosystem, including:
Internal, external, structured and unstructured data
Actionable, prescriptive and locally meaningful
Repeatable and reliable analytics execution to support trustworthiness
Dynamically flows back to transactional systems to drive intervention and supports and exploits co-invention with many social partners
Openly shared tools and data/analytics knowhow with multiple stakeholders & development partners
Mobile accessibility and interaction to support point of use active problem-solving
In partnership with clinician stakeholders, directs the development, implementation and evaluation of clinical documentation and clinical data improvement initiatives, enabling the accurate capture and reporting of inpatient severity of illness, risk of mortality and intensity of service and associated revenues.
- Sets goals, measures performance and is accountable for analytics solutions.
- Cultivates a board of internal and external advisors to assure future-oriented infrastructures
- Manages an "always-ready" portfolio of key performance opportunities that responds to needs, assures readiness, and promotes impact.
- Leverages external developers, cloud computing, and horizon tools and methods to best meet stakeholder needs while keeping the total cost of ownership affordable.
- Establishes a physical work environment that matches the UTMB brand and eliminates friction that inhibits innovation and collaboration.
- Oversees clinical, patient safety and service performance data reporting and analysis to support advance Health System quality assessment and performance improvement, regulatory compliance, key performance indicators, strategic planning, meaningful use, impact of evidence-based protocols and more.
- Oversees data/surveillance systems for the timely, accurate assessment of performance using measures that, whenever possible, are evidence-based and incorporate meaningful benchmarks for comparison.
- Implements and evaluates the effectiveness of the dissemination of health system quality, safety and service performance data so that key constituents (e.g. organization, service line, & department) regularly receive information to enable them to execute on responsibilities.
Advocates for the Health System to UTMB Financial Decision Support and IS Business Intelligence resources in the
development and support of business intelligence architecture, analytical tools, learning and use of distributed clinical analysis, and
dissemination and display of key metrics related to healthcare quality, safety and satisfaction.
Coordinates activities and resource allocation to support public reporting of UTMB health system performance information and assures accuracy of data released, including academic consortium (Vizient) clinical database (CDB) and establishes reliable systems to assure CDB data integrity.
- Develops and facilitates the education of UTMB physicians and staff regarding applicable documentation and data standards and changes in standards.
- Assures and investment in learning – Serves as an enterprise resource for the measurement and analysis of clinical performance, clinical documentation and data management issues, and for clinical documentation.
- Establishes mechanisms to assess and document the impact of data and documentation improvement within the organization and as reported to external agencies.
- Works with data governance and EMR team to maintain clinical documentation integrity in the electronic patient record and implements systems to enhance clinical data integrity for internal clinical reporting as well as external reporting and benchmarking.
- Provides administrative direction for areas of direct responsibility, including the establishment of goals and operating objectives, preparation and management of annual operating and capital budgets for the department. Monitors monthly expenditure reports to assess budget status and reports on variances; May develop, recommend, implement and monitor contracts for services.
- Supervises directors/managers of reporting and analytics as well as clinical documentation improvement in their use of staffing plans, employee development and coaching, mentoring and counseling as appropriate.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
Regulatory Compliance & Accreditation:
- Provides clinical performance information support to the Chief Medical Officer and the Medical Staff Office to support the evaluation of individual periodic performance evaluation.
- Monitors and assures department activities are in compliance with requirements of regulatory and accrediting agencies. Initiates corrective action as appropriate. Supports Internal Audit and Compliance colleagues in executing assessment and management control systems.
- Maintains familiarity with current internal, regulatory, and other external documentation, coding and data standards and regulations, and establishes mechanisms to correct areas of deficiency.
- Represent the institution in matters pertaining to patient care, safety and experience data with entities such as academic benchmarking peers, professional organizations, state Medicaid waiver officials, regulatory agencies, legislators, etc.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Ability to analyze and evaluate data to drive appropriate decisions/recommendations; and to enhance the information value chain.
- Working knowledge of business intelligence tools, data management, data mining and data reporting within a healthcare setting.
- Strong working knowledge of documentation, coding and classification nomenclatures, reimbursement and data standards and regulations.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of professionalism in dealing with staff at all levels of the institution. Strong presentation skills.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop, prioritize and accomplish multiple goals; manage competing demands on departmental and personal time and resources using project management discipline.
- Knowledge of and ability to function in a participatory management environment which involves clinical department chairmen, division chiefs, hospital administrators and various levels of management within a large academic medical center or related environment in the identification and resolution of problems, development of plans, objectives and strategies.
- Working knowledge of business intelligence and industry-standard analytical tool sets.
RHIA or CCS certification
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Associate Vice President, Clinical Analytics
Job ID: 53497
Business Unit: HOSPT