The University of Texas Medical Branch Director of Finance - Academic Enterprise, Research in Galveston, Texas
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field of study and 10 years of relevant work experience including prior supervisory experience and experience with budgeting and forecasting tools in an academic research organization
The Director of Finance - Academic Enterprise (AE), Research provides leadership and directs day to day financial management activities for the AE Research Enterprise, including ensuring the accuracy of financial transactions and reporting. This position is responsible for developing and leading a team with accountability for on-going AE-Research performance review by identifying and communicating key variances from budgets and forecasts, comparing key metrics to benchmark data, and using other analytics as appropriate. The individual filling this role must have a deep understanding of financial relationships and the ability to interpret trends that inform management decision-making. This position will work closely with members of the Business and Finance (B&F;) Leadership Team as well as operational leadership of the Departments to identify research performance issues and recommend corrective actions. This position will be responsible for reviewing monthly financial performance and for providing budget and prior year variance analysis as well as ensuring close collaboration with the Decision Support team to prepare the annual operating budget, forecasts and for delivering reports and presentations to the AE Executive Leadership Team, and to UTMB Executive Leadership. The individual filing this role will develop collaborative, detailed working relationships with research department leadership, assisting them in all financial aspects of their departments.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP21.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Monitors monthly financial performance as compared to plan; prepares and presents analysis that explains variances and proposes corrective action
- Reviews financial information and identifies developing trends that inform forecasts and management for decision making purposes
- Collaborates with B&F; Decision Support to develop research assumptions, which will inform financial forecasts and the six-year financial forecast submitted annually with the State Operating Budget
- Assist with development and maintenance of metrics and comparisons to benchmarks
- Assist in the development of technology and best practices to ensure continuous process improvement
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure
- Ensures adherence to timelines for key deliverables to support preparation of the State and Institutional operating budgets.
- Works with the VP, Finance – AE, AE leadership, the Director of Finance – AE, Clinical and Director of Finance – AE, Education to determine mission-level financial targets and the underlying allocation to departments.
- Supports the Faculty New Hire process coordinating with the AE Director of Finance, Education to ensure faculty commitments and backstops are documented, implemented, reconciled and communicated.
- Work closely with the AE Director of Finance-Education to review the appropriateness of faculty commitment forecasts and budgets
- Coordinate completion and review of financial plans and operating budgets of University Service Centers and University Cores and prepares annual Service Center Profitability Analysis per IHOP 4.5.1.
- Supports the capital budget process in conjunction with the VP, Finance – AE and Directors of Finance – AE, Clinical and Education.
- Assists in the completion of ad hoc, requests from AE, UTMB or UT System leadership
- Provides on-going review of budget information presented in financial reports to ensure accurate reporting.
- Advises leadership on current research industry financial trends and the potential impact on the AE.
- Works with the Corporate Controller to manage the integrity of the AE-Research general ledger.
- Supports AE, B&F; and UTMB leadership workgroups and other committees.
- Supports preparation of AE or UT System surveys, as needed.
- Supports the completion of the annual financial audit, annual financial report, biennial legislative request.
- Works with the revenue cycle team and contracting team, as needed to ensure maximum professional reimbursement.
- Partners with the Directors of Finance, Clinical and Education to effectively coordinate completion of departmental goals and objectives.
Administrative and Supervisory
- Provides direct leadership to a team of financial professionals through regular communication, active goal setting, and routine coaching to model and promote behavior that aligns with UTMB’s Core Values
- Responsible for recruiting, training, development and evaluation of direct reports.
- Organizes and plans work to ensure appropriate prioritization and timely deliverables
- Provides routine status updates and quickly escalate appropriate issues to leadership when necessary
- Develops a comprehensive knowledge of the Institution’s accounting and budgeting systems (Oracle, Hyperion, and related EDW) and keeps up to date with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook).
- Possesses a strong understanding of financial statements and financial relationships as well as a sound working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and accounting practices and procedures
- Ability to execute the efficient retrieval and compilation of financial data and statistical information for decision making purposes.
- Ability to analyze /evaluate data and make appropriate decisions/recommendations
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and has the ability to effectively work and communicate with individuals at all levels of the institution
- Strong organization and planning skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Hands-on management style with the ability to drive projects to closure
External Relations and Development
- Actively participates with Finance colleagues in completing initiatives, goals and priorities
- Develops productive relationships with UTMB personnel across campus while accomplishing institutional objectives
PREFERRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
MBA/CPA and experience in Academic Medicine is preferred.
#exec #rsrch #prof #top
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Director of Finance - Academic Enterprise, Research
Job ID: 53452
Business Unit: FINCE