The University of Texas Medical Branch Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions, School of Medicine in Galveston, Texas
M.D. or PhD degree
Minimum 10 years of experience in medical student education.
Previous School of Medicine administrative experience in Student Affairs.
The Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions will oversee the activities of the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions. These activities include the recruiting and matriculating of a diverse and outstanding class of medical students, providing academic support and career counseling, and providing appropriate student services. The Associate Dean will also oversee the Match and SOAP process, School of Medicine activities including the Orientation, the White Coat Ceremony, and the Match Celebration, and special programs including pipeline programs.
Salary Range **
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP22.
Specific Job Related Duties **
Scope: School of Medicine
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the overall operations of the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions.
- Serve as the Office of Student Affairs representative on the Operations Committee of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee.
- Serve as the Group on Student Affairs representative to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
- Serve as a UTMB liaison to the Texas Medical Dental School Application Service.
- Approve and monitor any leave of absences, probationary status, or other student categories
- Oversee the admission process and pipeline programs
- Oversee the School of Medicine Scholarship Committee.
- Preparation of Medical Student Performance Evaluations.
- Oversight of the residency Match and SOAP process.
- Serve as the School of Medicine representative to the Student Affairs Council.
- Serve as UTMB representative to the Joint Admissions Medical Program Council.
- Serve as a liaison to the Diversity in Medical Education Committee.
- Assist with grant proposals and submissions.
- Serve as the investigative officer for student academic misconduct violations.
- Oversight of Commencement, Orientation Week, White Coat Ceremony, and Match Ceremony
- Serve as liaison to the Alumni association
- Adhere to internal controls and reporting structure
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of student needs in the health professions.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent skills in organization and prioritization
- Ability to identify and balance a range of student needs and priorities.
Received: Vice Dean for Academic Affairs
Given: Assistant Dean for Admissions. Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, Director of Academic Support and Career Counseling, Director of Special Programs
*BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: *
Direct: Manages operational budget for student recruitment and admission in the Office of Student Affairs, and oversees the remainder of the Student Affairs budget, with advice and consent from the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs approximately $600,000)
- Responsible for implementing decisions related to all student recruitment and admissions activities originating from the faculty Admissions Committee. Responsible for all matters related to student support, counseling, and discipline as determined by faculty policy committees.
Standard office equipment.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint products
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/LOCATION OF POSITION:
- Standard office environment at UTMB’s main campus.
- Specific job requirements or physical location of some positions allocated to this classification, may render this position security sensitive, and thereby subject to the provisions of Section 51.215, Texas Education Code.
Preferred Work Experience **
Previous medical school experience as Admissions Director, course or clerkship director
Closing Statement **
Equal Employment Opportunity **
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions, School of Medicine
Job ID: 57886
Business Unit: SOMED