The University of Texas Medical Branch Associate Medical Director, Hospital Galveston - TDCJ Hospital Administration in Galveston, Texas
Medical degree from an accredited medical college or school is required.
Must hold a current license to practice medicine by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners.
Must hold current Drug Enforcement Agency certification (DEA).
Must hold current Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications.
Must be board certified in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine and continue to maintain board certification during Hospital Galveston tenure.
Progressively responsible management level experience including experience in operational activities for an academic healthcare center.
The Associate Medical Director (AMD) for Hospital Galveston UTMB Health System will report to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of Hospital Galveston and in that capacity will collaborate with UTMB’s Clinical Chairs and Vice Chairs, Vice President, Chief Medical and Clinical Innovation Officer as well as Director of Quality for Correctional Managed Care (CMC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ).
This position will ensure the departments in his/her areas of responsibility are integrated into the overall strategic goals of Hospital Galveston (HG) and support the UTMB strategic Road Ahead and its missions of patient care, education, and research. Areas of responsibility include the following:
- Serve as advisor to and receive work direction from the Chief Medical Officer for HG
- Establish direction and lead strategic quality initiatives that optimally support the attainment of Hospital Galveston’s pursuit of excellence in health care, patient engagement and the deployment of best known practices.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a band code APNG23.
Specific Job Related Duties
The AMD performs his or her job by demonstrating technical ability, understanding of job expectations and compliance with organizational policies and procedures. The AMD performs the following job responsibilities within Hospital Galveston:
- Work collaboratively with the medical, nursing and clinical staff in targeting clinical quality improvement and developing interdisciplinary models of clinical practice.
- Evaluates quality assessment (including measurement and analysis of HG quality, safety, and experience performance) and improvement activities of coordinators assigned to all clinical units.
- In collaboration with the Departments of Quality and Process Improvement, initiates and oversees the development of a comprehensive quality, performance improvement, safety, and patient experience program (with annual plans) that is data-driven, reflects contemporary evidence, and is integrated with enterprise goals, approaches, and resources.
- Ensures that quality assessment and monitoring programs and activities are consistent with all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Oversees proactive and reactive patient safety activities including root cause analyses, failure mode effects analyses and Sentinel Event Alerts and facilitates planning, implementation and evaluation of resulting process changes.
- Engages in collaborative relationships with all clinical enterprise departments, e.g. the Departments of Nursing and Pharmacy, to support excellence in clinical practice for all of Hospital Galveston.
- Works with the Department of Patient Services, Risk Management, and Legal Affairs, as appropriate, to respond to patient concerns about care, particularly as they relate to physician practice.
- Partner with physician leadership, administrative leadership and others to create a culture of quality, safety and service excellence.
- Collaborate in the creation and ongoing maintenance of a comprehensive, integrated quality measurement and reporting systems, including organizational dashboards.
- Performs complete medical histories and physical examinations; forms clinical impressions based upon findings; orders diagnostic tests, interprets results of laboratory tests and radiologic examinations, prescribes medications, and renders treatments appropriate to clinical impressions.
- Refers patients to specialist for consultations, evaluations and treatments.
- Serves in rotation with other providers to provide after-hours and weekend patient care.
- Directly supervises all mid-level providers.
- Oversees and manages all operations of the unit’s medical department, assuring compliance with all applicable standards, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Attends HG CMO Ward Rounds and Length of Stay meetings.
- Seeks opportunities to expand knowledge in healthcare, correctional health care, and hospital administration.
- Attends required continuing education courses related to area of specialization to remain current in the field.
- Attends education courses and lectures as required.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in areas of expertise. Brings and shares new knowledge with the CMO for Hospital Galveston and Senior Administration to increase the institutional knowledge base.
- Demonstrates accurate knowledge of relevant law, policies, regulations and standards affecting decisions and interpretations. Is alert to changes in regulations and responds promptly to meet them.
Senior Management and Department Managers/Directors
- Participates as a member of the Hospital Galveston Executive Leadership Team, providing guidance to the CMO for Hospital Galveston in the accomplishment of the goals and mission of HG.
- Provides advice and counsel on quality initiatives to Nurse Managers/Directors/ Patient Care Facilitators (PCFs).
Correctional Managed Care
- Works collaboratively with CMC Associate Vice Presidents, Directors and Practice Managers to ensure a robust quality program is maintained.
Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
- Represents Hospital Galveston in its relationship with TDCJ as deemed necessary by the CMO.
UTMB enterprise Quality, Risk, Patient Services, and Process Improvement departments
- Collaborates in the design and execution of process supports for Hospital Galveston.
Core Organizational Competencies:
- Technical Skill: Performs his/her job demonstrating technical ability, understanding of job expectations, and compliance with organizational policies and procedures. Ability to meet or exceed annual goals set for the AMD.
- Teamwork: Participates as a member of Hospital Galveston in its shared goals. Demonstrates respect and cooperative relationships in fulfilling the goals and mission of HG.
- Communication: Demonstrates good interpersonal skills with all whom the incumbent interacts including hospital staff, visitors, and most importantly, patients and their families. All communications, written and verbal, should demonstrate a commitment to customer service and excellence. Incumbent must effectively send, receive, and respond to information ensuring a high level of patient care and service.
- Initiative: Commits to and performs quality work contributing to quality patient care. Assumes responsibility and accountability for his/her actions. Meets the challenges of a changing environment and is timely in meeting his/her responsibilities. Strives to provide excellent customer service. Values accomplishments and shows enthusiasm and pride in the Health System. Demonstrates a self-directed work effort that confirms the ability to recognize personal strengths and weaknesses. Develops goals for professional growth and strive to achieve those goals.
- Customer Service: Demonstrates a commitment to courteous, sincere and sensitive customer service. Presents a positive and caring attitude in all interactions with patients, visitors, staff and physicians. Remains patient, tolerant and accepting of diversity. Presents a positive image of himself/herself, Hospital Galveston, and of UTMB in all personal and telephone interactions.
- Quality Improvement: Demonstrates a commitment to quality and excellence. Problems are solved through critical evaluation of data-based information and continuous improvement efforts that lead to effective quality-based outcomes. Accurately identify and diagnose an issue, identify alternatives, implement a plan, and evaluate and communicate results.
- Broad knowledge of modern healthcare and business administration, systems, practices and principles.
- Advanced quantitative knowledge necessary to analyze data and make informed decisions.
- Effective organizational, planning, controlling, scheduling and project management abilities:
- Effective leadership abilities
- Proven track record of initiating change and innovation
- Strategic thinking, planning and problem solving
- Developing goals and priorities for a large healthcare organization
- Superior communication skills, both in written and verbal presentation
- Effective analytical ability in order to develop and analyze options, recommend solutions, and solve complex issues and problems.
- Effective human relations abilities to effect collaborative alliances and promote teamwork, and to ensure a high level of internal and external customer and patient satisfaction.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
- Proven analytical skills. Knowledge and ability to apply practices and principles utilized in quantitative and qualitative analytical research.
- Master’s degree in healthcare administration, public health, business or finance, or other relevant field strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in hospital administration and 5 years in physician leadership role(s).
- Lean Six Sigma Certified Green Belt.
- Prior quality improvement experience as evidenced by certifications (Physician Leadership Academy, Clinical Safety & Effectiveness Course) or Quality Improvement project methodology.
#phys #exec #top
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Associate Medical Director, Hospital Galveston - TDCJ Hospital Administration
Job ID: 60098
Business Unit: TDCJH