The University of Texas Medical Branch Director, HR Operations and Employee Relations in Galveston, Texas
Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field.
Seven (7) years progressive professional level Human Resources experience.
Scope: Institution-wide oversight of all HR operations and employee relations staff, programs, policies and procedures.
Function: Provides leadership and guidance in the planning, execution, and evaluation of the strategic consulting and employee relations function at UTMB in order to attract, develop and retain talent. Develops programs to foster a positive, professional work environment. Leads the Human Resources Operations and Employee Relations team and ensures excellence in HR practice.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP21.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Oversees and administers all employee relations areas, including performance management and discipline, employee and faculty grievance, employee appeal, staff reorganizations and reductions, unemployment compensation, and fitness for duty processes for the provision of innovative, efficient and effective HR services.
- Directs the management of the day-to-day operational, financial and personnel activities of both the HR operations and employee relations functions.
- Provides HR consulting and executive coaching to senior University leaders to deliver business solutions that address talent maximization, workforce planning, process improvement and change management.
- Recommends and leads the effective implementation of institution – wide HR plans and initiatives to attract, develop and retain talent.
- Anticipates the need for change and influences action before a crisis or inflection point arrives. Facilitates leadership assessment and succession planning to identify next generation leaders.
- Researches federal and state employment laws; UT System Board of Regents Rules, policies and procedures; and other regulations and coordinates the development of HR policies in a manner that is fair, consistent, and aligned with UTMB’s core values.
- Coaches senior University leaders on leadership behaviors and practices, employee communications, development and performance management strategies and tactics to promote engagement and a culture of continuous growth and development. Provides expert advice and counsel regarding HR-related issues.
- Partners with HR leadership colleagues to recommend, develop and implement solution and programs aligned with business strategies, structures and challenges.
- Recommends department interventions for serious employee relations situations to improve teamwork and job performance.
- Functions as the lead HR response for regulatory accreditation site visits and inquires, including but not limited to The Joint Commission, Texas Workforce Commission, and Department of Labor.
- Oversees non – EEO investigations and collaborates with other areas, such as the Department of Internal Investigations, Institutional Compliance and Legal Affairs, to ensure that all complaints are resolved. Assists in the preparation of responses to regulatory agencies and legal cases.
- Trains and educates HR staff, managers, and other key employees on employee relations issues to share HR principles and best practices.
- Serves as a member of HR leadership to provide input and advice regarding the delivery of HR services.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department; provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Excellent interpersonal and professional communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand the complexities of an academic medical center.
- Strong analytical skills to use metrics and data to drive decision making.
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills with ability to provide multiple options for problem resolution.
- Strong organizational skills to facilitate managing several projects at one time.
- Strong project management skills.
- Competent use of personal computers and general office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Advanced knowledge of HR principles and practices and employment law.
- Strong knowledge of change management principles.
- Ability to organize work, delegate and achieve goals and objectives established for the team.
- Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to comprehend business unit goals and objectives, organizational structure, policies, procedures and practices.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret and communicate federal and state employment laws; UT System rules and regulations; and UTMB policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal day – to – day supervision while delivering high quality work product.
- Ability to handle and safeguard confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to appropriately interact with all levels of individuals within the work environment.
- Ability to manage change and direct the problem-solving process.
- Professional HR Certification (PHR or SPHR)
Preferred Work Experience
- 5 Years of HR operations or employee relations experience.
- Academic healthcare experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Director, HR Operations and Employee Relations
Job ID: 61625
Business Unit: HRSRV