The University of Texas Medical Branch Director of Oncology Clinical Trials in Galveston, Texas
A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven years of experience in clinical research operations.Business administration or health related field
CCRP and/or CRS Certification
Function: The Director of Oncology Clinical Trials, reports to the Oncology Service Line Medical Director/Director of the UTMB Cancer Center and will develop, implement, and oversee processes, systems, educational programs, and other activities necessary to support and grow oncology clinical trials activities at UTMB. The Director provides overall strategic leadership as well as day to day management of all oncology clinical trial activities, including planning, goal setting, and monitoring organizational performance to ensure cost effectiveness and high quality programs.
Scope: This position coordinates and collaborates with multiple UTMB Health organizational units including Research Services, The Academic Enterprise, The Administrators School of Medicine, The Clinical Departments, UTMB Health System Administration, University of Texas System, and State and Federal Agencies.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a Band Code AP14.
Specific Job Related Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The Director will lead UTMB institutional efforts in supporting oncology clinical research investigators and teams. Establishes good rapport with faculty investigators and staff. In conjunction with faculty and Director UTMB Cancer Center sets targets to be met for improved patient accrual.
- Works closely with the Cancer Center Director in the execution and development of the strategic plan for Oncology Clinical Trials. Develops a system of operating and monitoring controls in areas relating to oncology clinical research including proposal development, review, and post award billing controls.
- Responsible for integrating oncology clinical trial activity and accrual with the Oncology Service Line initiatives.
- Determines objectives and approaches to critical assignments.
- Provides support and peer review programs targeted to oncology clinical research coordinators, nurses, and other front-line team members.
- Develops institutional policies and standard operating procedures appropriate for quality oncology clinical research activities.
- Ensures UTMB oncology clinical research programs adhere to high quality and integrity in compliance with Federal, State, and University guidelines.
- Identifies changing areas of oncology clinical research risks and revises policies as needed to address and mitigate those risks; reviews and establishes working relationships within the research, finance and compliance communities.
- Serves as in-house expert on compliance matters for clinical research administration staff by monitoring regulatory developments in the clinical research area.
- Exercises authority to communicate appropriate matters to Cancer Center Director, Chief Research Officer, Compliance Office and senior management as needed, and fosters open communication across institution.
- Assists the Chief Research Officer and the Director of the UTMB Cancer Center in defining roles across institution to ensure adherence to clinical research regulatory guidelines.
- Member or ex officio member of various standing and ad hoc committees related to clinical research support and compliance initiatives.
- Participates actively in, and reports progress to, the Cancer Center/Oncology Service Line Steering Committee
- Keeps abreast of new guidelines, national discussions and best practices in the management of conflict of interest and in the protection of human subjects as they relate to the operational aspects of clinical research. Advises the Cancer Center Director, the Chief Research Officer, etc. to enhance integration of review activities with operations.
- Directs HR recruiting and hiring activities and professional development of subordinate staff; analyzes workloads, determines priorities, assigns duties; promotes education and cross training in order to maximize staffing potential with a team philosophy.
- Participates in the Research Services annual organizational planning goal setting, and evaluation process regarding clinical trials.
- Performs annual staff performance evaluations and develops performance management program.
- Monitors financial and business performance indicators against budgeted targets.
- Supports and interprets the purpose, philosophy, objectives, and operations of the institution in order to assure the best service is available to the research/academic community.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills with a high degree of professionalism and competence in dealing with faculty and employees at all levels.
- Ability to foster collaborative and constructive relationships.
- Proficiency in balancing complex federal, state and local regulations with institutional policies and procedures to support and facilitate a world-class clinical research environment.
- Ability to prepare and analyze operating budgets, analyze/evaluate operational data, and to utilize this information to make appropriate decisions and recommendations.
- Exceptional organizational skills with a focus on results that ensures timely progress on priorities.
- Master’s Degree
- Business administration or health related field
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience and understanding of clinical research and trials regulatory environment in an academic setting as well as a history of performance effectiveness in this environment are highly desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Director of Oncology Clinical Trials
Job ID: 59566
Business Unit: SOMED